The founder’s nest is for ant colonies that no longer fit into a test tube. We offer you two different versions of this ant nest. This is a simple version. In our shop you can also find a more naturalistic version.
The nest can be set up in two versions:
- In the first variant, the water tank is located under the nest (refillable with a syringe), which only needs to be filled once a week, depending on the humidification.
- In the second variant, the nest is moistened directly on the absorbent cotton in the moistening area.
The ant nest has a simple design, is easy to get started with and is escape-proof when used correctly.
This ant nest is suitable for very small species like Pheidole pallidula as well as for large ant species like Iridomyrmex purpureus.
It is especially well suited for beginner species such as Lasius Niger, Myrmica Rubra, and Co.
Feeding in the nest is also possible, thanks to the large 14mm hole at the entrance of the nest, which can later be used for a direct hose connection. Nevertheless, we recommend feeding in an arena because of the better cleaning possibilities.
In the manual you will find more about the right cleaning technique for this nest.
We recommend to place an external heating above the nest (otherwise the view could be impaired by condensation water).
We also recommend to apply a plaster-clay mixture to the humidification wall (not included).
The instructions will be sent to your email address as a PDF file.
- Chamber height: 16mm
- (HxLxW) without plug: 43,5mm x 93mm x 34,7mm
- connections: 14mm drill holes, plug outside dimension 14mm
- 2x ant “founder nest “Gen3 small
- 2x irrigation basins
- 2x cover
- 2x plexiglass pane (2mm thick)
- 8 screws (Phillips H screws)
- 2x normal plugs
- 2x get plug
- 2x plugs with gauze
- absorbent cotton
- 2x gauze for humidification
- Manual in PDF format
- Use under direct adult supervision!
- Minimum age: 14 years!
- Not suitable for children under 36 months. Risk of suffocation due to small parts that can be swallowed.
- Colors may differ slightly from the original in the pictures shown!
- Tools are required for the assembly!
- The fineness of the grid may differ slightly from the illustrations!
Jacob S. –
It is super to keep even small ants in a small nest. And the colony develops super